Sunday, February 7, 2010

London is great!

Today, we went to London. "We" is nine girls and one boy from Guildford. No Englishmen, though. We had a group ticket that was really cheap, I think about 8 pound per person for the way there and back and using the underground.

Some of our group in front of Wellington Arch, where the free tour started.

Yeah, you'll want to watch out when you cross streets.

 That's a special path for horses in Green Park. In the background you can see Wellington Arch again.



We came just in time to Buckingham Palace to see the change of guards. Well, actually we didn't see it because there were too many tourists blocking the way, but I asked a little girl who was sitting on her daddy's shoulders to take a picture for me. Turned out pretty well, eh?


Vera, Blandine and Inkeri.


Here you can see our guide in front of Buckingham Palace. He was a real fun guy and told some great stories, though you were covered in spit when standing in the first row.

 Me in a guard box in front of St. James's Palace, which is where Princess Diana lived after the divorce from Prince Charles. 







The next stop was Trafalgar Square with a statue of Lord Nelson on a column. As you can see, there are NO pigeons. They achieved that by handing out pigeon food containing contra-ceptives to tourists.


Here we're standing in front of Westminster Abbey, listening to the story of Guy Fawkes and an explicit description of how some of his friends were killed. Uargh. It was soooo cold.


After the tour we warmed up with some great food. Mine was.. I forgot, but I could fill fried vegetables into tortillas and spice them with cheese and three different kinds of sauces. It tasted awesome.. I really have to copy that when I'm back in Germany and have my own kitchen again.


Michaela (with fish and chips) and Noora (with a burger and fries).

After that, we went to see the National Gallery. I saw great works of van Gogh and Picasso and Monet and Klimt and I loved them, especially those of van Gogh and Monet. To see those pictures on prints or screens is nothing compared to seeing every single brush stroke and places where the fabric of the linen becomes visible.

Group photo in front of the National Gallery.


From front to back: Blandine, Noora, Inkeri (all three in my flat), Helena, Svenja.

Confusing tube maps. Note the woman in the background, haha.

 


Don't know what I was thinking.


From left to right: Blandine, Inkeri, Svenja, Noora. All of them single, mail me if interested ;D!

NDN (Next-Door-Nora), Vera, Michaela and me on our way back to Waterloo.

3 comments:

  1. you had an exciting sunday :) and i heard of conceptives on pidgeons in berlin. but it was only a study in a small part of berlin and it wasn't continued after the study ended.

    Haha! And I didn't know you had some business with dating agencies xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi little sister,

    your photos looks like great fun :-)
    i wish you all the best for your time in merry england!

    great big hug!
    andreas

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ yummy
    do you know why it was ended? the londoners seem pretty happy with their pigeonless square.

    @ andi
    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete