Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Landed

We've arrived in my room and are both doing fine. There were some difficulties during the journey, including traffic jam, crowded stations in London, buses driving at the wrong side of the street and non-transparent distribution of bus stops. It was truly exhausting, but we've made it! 

After unpacking we had a little nap in the 90-cm-bed and took the bus to campus in order to get free Internet access. Then we went shopping, and as I had to buy pots, cutlery, dishes and some basic food stuff, the whole thing got pretty expensive. And the liquid soap spilled out, so that my room smells of magnolia now. 

Guildford (BTW, the first D is silent) is a nice small town with lots of brick buildings and half-timbered houses. The campus is very green; there's even a lake. The place must be beautiful in summer. The weather is mild and a little bit rainy, and we haven't seen a single snowflake since boarding the plane in Frankfurt.

My flat is fabulous! I think the house was only just finished, so I'm the first one living in this room and it's all clean and tidy. There's a nasty air draught though. I have a room + bathroom on my own and share the kitchen with six others. I've already filmed a tour, but I don't have the software to load it. Probably won't make it tomorrow, too, because we're going to London, and in the evening we'll meet another Erasmus student from Heidelberg.

It's about three minutes to the launderette and ten to fifteen minutes to go to a huge Tesco market. Don't wanna test how long it takes to walk to the campus. I live in Manor Park, a new facility about two kilometres away from main campus that consists of a large number of boarding houses. It's like a little town in itself. You can't find it yet in Google Earth or Google Map, but it's across Research Park.

For dinner we had spaghetti with fresh Chinese vegetables and disgusting chicken rip-off. Only one of the other students who live in my flat has arrived yet and I asked her (Nora from Finland) to join us, but I'm happy she didn't, because it tasted awful. Don't know why I asked her in the first place. She's really nice though, and I could sell her a pot and some cutlery I didn't need :) Maybe I've chosen the wrong job after all and should go into houseware business.

Sorry, this entry is too long and not really well-structured, but I'm soooo tired. Good night.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome =D I heard from a fellow student that's it is best in england to eat indish food, since it's more yummy than the british and because of the collonialism very common.

    ReplyDelete