Saturday, March 6, 2010

London again

I'm too tired to write a lot, so there's just some pictures...


Blandine and Svenja, enjoying the Fajitas we prepared last night. Mmmmmmh.

Lhadi, me and Svenja at the party in Hazel Farm. Actually, their house was quite nice. A lot nicer than the place that Svenja calls her home. But it's really far away from the town centre and uni. (No, I'm not pregnant. And I haven't gained weight. It's just the dress.)

Today, I went to London with Svenja and Tatjana. This is the westward view from Waterloo Bridge.

This is the eastward view. Look at the sky... the weather has been so nice recently.

This is me and one of the sphinxes protecting Cleopatra's Needle, the obelisk that you can see on the right in the picture above.

One of the dragons marking the border between the City of Westminster and the City of London.

Svenja and Tatjana in front of a portrayal of Queen Victoria. She's the only royal I recognise (except the ones still living) because she's always wearing a veil.

Me on a tree in the Inns of Court, where lawyers are educated. Doesn't really look cosy. And it wasn't. And it was a lot harder to get down again than to get up.

Temple Church. You might know it from The Da Vinci Code. Unfortunately closed on Saturdays. We'll be back.

So beautiful. I just have to put it here so that I don't forget.


The white building is where you find the most amazing museum I've ever seen. It's the house of Sir John Soane, who lived in the 19th century, and it has remained just the way it was in his lifetime. He collected all sorts of things - paintings, ancient Greek carvings, statues, Egyptian sarcophagi and other curious artifacts. Really cool. And such a great atmosphere, because the guy really lived there. And he was a famous architect and designed his own house, it's awesome. He did that very cleverly and creatively and inventively. He was an expert on light.

After so much culture we ended the day by shopping in Oxford Street. There's an unbelievably cheap shop called Primark where I got a handbag, 7 pairs of socks, two shirts and hair grips for 10 pounds (!). I don't know how they can sell their stuff so cheaply. Maybe it's better I don't know. And I got a new guide to London and a guide to Scotland. I love them. I think I'm going to leaf through them before going to sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Bitte weitere Infos zur Fahrt mit dem Boot:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, welche Bootsfahrt? Hab bisher hier noch keine gemacht.. vll. wenn meine Oma zu Besuch kommt, da hätten wir dann ein Ticket, wo ein paar Bootsfahrten included sind ^^

    ReplyDelete